Thursday, April 14, 2011

Some Random Thoughts...

I think we had a great discussion today in class but if anything it has left me more unsure of how I feel about Bet Me. Let's start with the bad: I thought the book was just eh for the first several chapters. I found the descriptions tired, the dialogue not very authentic and I just couldn't care about any of the characters. And I stand by my opinion that I think some of the dialogue is just plain annoying, specifically when referencing other characters. "Your Calvin" "Your Minerva" "The Suit" "The Beast" "The Girl in the gray-checked suit" "The One" "This One" etc.... I'm also finding some of the novel repetitive with all of the times Elvis (varying forms) and chicken marsala are in there. Like, the actual words. It seems like those words are crammed in the novel more times than some of the characters. And, I have to clarify my statement today about finding it odd that they ate the Italian dish soooo many times. I really do understand- in my life I have favorite foods that I eat all the time. And I understand the characters like it. I just don't want to have to read about it so much. I guess it pulls me out of the story. Maybe I'm just weird, though... Now on to the good: The author does a nice job of developing character. I really didn't like Min in the beginning. I love how the use of food and her relationship with Cal is bringing out her softer yet more confident side. I actually like her now! I actually want to keep reading. I also think that Cruisie is great at setting. And, she can write a sexy scene without resorting to the over the top "throbbing manhood" type of language we mentioned today in class. So, for me this book is not hit or miss. It's hit AND miss. I like it but I dislike some parts of it. I don't know if I'll read it again. I guess it depends on how I feel at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment