Thursday, April 14, 2011

Real People, Real Story

Let me start by saying that Jennifer Crusie is now one of my favorite authors. I love how "Bet Me" doesn't have predictable characters: they each have their own distinct personalities that offer something completely different. The characters that Crusie created feel almost like real people that I would want to talk to. They each have their own pet peeves, flaws, and quirks that come through beautifully without explanation.

While reading this book, I was constantly hoping that Cal and Min would just realize how much they love each other and date. That made this book a definite page-turner. Another interesting thing was that the situations were so real, they were written as if most were already experienced. To me, it's great to be able to read a book that seems real.

Lastly, I loved how Crusie doesn't make the main character a cookie-cutter version of every other romance heroin. Min is not stick thin, she has a mind of her own, and is independent. It's refreshing to know that someone realizes that there's more than just one look for a woman. To get that character in this book is simply amazing. I think it makes Min even more relatable because she isn't the typical stick-thin blond. Oh, how I love this book!

3 comments:

  1. I agree. It is nice when an author doesn't use what could be called a "cookie cutter" heroine. That, to me, makes the character even more real since not every woman (or man) is stick thin. It relates the character to what the real world is actually like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree but I also wish she had tweaked Cal from the steriotypical romance hero. He seems "perfect" with chiseled features, tall, dark, handsome, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree I really enjoyed this book. It's by far my favorite. I do also like the fact that you brought up that Crusie doesn't use the usual skinny perfect look for a women. I think more authors should realize not everyone is a size 2 and they should get more realistic.

    ReplyDelete