Thursday, April 28, 2011

Weddings...

One class ago we talked about books, and I think books can definitely make a difference in a persons life. There are still books from my childhood, that I read whenever I need a breather. Like A Little Princess and Chrysanthemum, I can still just read them and remember how I felt when I was little when I read them then. Books can change people in many ways, so people should always read!!
Weddings are a HUGE part of most cultures. People usually think about getting married at least some point in there lives. I mean as a kid, I never fantasized as much as the girls in the book, or play-acted it. But I have thought about how I wanted some things, like how I want to get married in Hawaii (even though sadly it's a cliche kind of place-But oh well I love it there!!)
The price of 24k, seems like a lot to me for an average wedding, but once you think about how much some people actually do for their weddings it's probably not anywhere close to the real price. I don't think I would ever want to spend so much that I am in debt because it seems like just too much. I would want to have things so that my fiance and myself were happy and would remember the day forever. Also I think it has to do with the wanting to be a princess for a day. I know that, I am going to want to be treated like a princess and look like a princess for a day. But I know that some people do go overboard and spend millions, and that's just too much.
I also think that these days, the parents definitely don't pay for everything. My parents wouldn't pay for everything. I mean my mom might help a little if she could but I know my dad wouldn't. Lastly I wanted to talk about some other wedding traditions. In Middle Eastern cultures and other cultures, it's kind of like the bride's family has to bribe the groom and his family to "take" the bride. I think that's so strange and rather degrading to the women. Another thing is how my dad's family does weddings. Their wedding rituals can last weeks, and can be pretty pricey, but it's not the same as American weddings where the money is spent on kind of frivolous things. For their weddings it's based on traditions that have been around for years, while American weddings being so expensive has gradually increased over time with the new expensive things people want. I can't image how much my cousin's wedding is going to be with her doing an American wedding and a traditional Pakistan wedding! It's going to be way too expensive but pretty amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment