Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Like Water For Chocolate

After reading the first half of the book and learning about Magic Realism, I wasn't sure if I liked this type of writing. When I finished reading the book and took everything in I realized that the book wouldn't have been as enjoyable without the fantasy. I liked reading and wondering what is real and what isn't. The magic and exaggeration pulls you into the story and makes you want to keep reading. I also liked how each chapter started out with a recipe and how each time the instructions of the recipe flowed right into the the rest of the story. The one recipe where John makes those matches just makes me wonder if that really works. Some of the recipes sound really gross and I can't imagine that someone would even think about eating them let alone put them in a book. There is just something about Spanish stories that have so much passion and intense love. In my AP Spanish class we watched a Spanish soap and they are the same way. There was an intense love story about a woman who couldn't be with the man she truly loved and was forced into marrying a different one. When I started reading the book I was reminded of this show.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree.. the Magic realism kept me on the edge and wondering what else they could think of/make up to greater the scene or moment. Glad they did everything with the book that they did

    ReplyDelete