Thursday, April 28, 2011

Picture Perfect Vision

A year ago, if you would have told me that I would someday enjoy a book by Nora Roberts, I would've laughed hysterically. I used to have an image in my head that her books were awful cookie-cutter versions of the same story, just with different names and places. I never would have picked one up--ever. I have to say, though, I am thoroughly pleased with this book.

The characters are written fabulously: they each have their own unique traits and backgrounds that add to the overall story. As with "Bet Me," I feel like I could actually meet the people in this book--like I could have an actual conversation with them. For example, Mac's personality is so vivid that you don't have to guess how she might be feeling or how you would feel in that situation. There was no second guessing.

Another aspect of the novel that I love is the prologue, and that's saying something because I usually skip it after the first few pages. However, I think it really eased the reader into Mac's personality without just being thrust into it. Those first few pages also gave loads of insight on the other three friends, too. Again, instead of tossing the girls in there, the reader is allowed some background and illustration of all of their personalities.

I have to say, Nora Roberts, you certainly surprised me. I never thought I would ever actually buy a book of yours and now I have to buy three more....What, did you think I was just going to read one?!

No comments:

Post a Comment