Friday, April 22, 2011

Romance Novels..

I went into this class feeling that I would enjoy the class, but the romance Novels, not so much. Fortunately, I think I may now be one of the statistics; slowly this genre became my favorite, especially the last three novels. Bet Me is currently my favorite novel and I plan on reading/enjoying many more of Jennifer Cruise’s amazing novels. I originally expected that the novels we would read would be “smut” novels and be written towards the modern housewife and their sexual fantasies. Instead, we read about women empowering themselves and getting it all. Not only are these women (in this novel particularly) strong and hard workers, they find their true love and have their “happily ever after”.
Bet Me was incredibly inspiring for me in numerous aspects. I am a lot like Minerva in many ways, I am extremely insecure about my weight, am strong willed/determined, hard working, obsessed with a dead musician (Kurt Cobain), and a “hard ass” to men. Since, the book was written in a realistic aspect, it allows a reader with these qualities to feel that they can gain it all. That a “Prince” will corrupt their stability and blow them away, an amazing man that will look past her insecurities and “bitchy” behavior. A handsome and intelligent man that will love her for who she really is---good and bad.
I am looking forward to the next novel we are going to read, in hopes this new trend will continue. Thank you for allowing the modern feminist the chance to experience and actually enjoy the “Romance” genre for what it can be; feminist women who can still find a place for love in their hectic lives. Also, our discussions and this summer plan on reading more of Jennifer Cruise’s awesome novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment