Thursday, April 28, 2011

Weddings

In class today we talked mainly about weddings and everything that goes into one: the people, the decorations, the food. The cost. It's so crazy to think that something so seemingly basic could - on average - cost $24,000. And if it's the average, that means that there are weddings that cost more than that! Probably significantly more. It's just insane to think that people spend that much on one day when there are so many better things to spend that money on, and there are so many people who could really use that money around the world.

Of course, if you add up all the costs and everything you need to do, it makes sense that it would cost that much. Like when we stripped down what a wedding basically needs, the cost was so much more reasonable, but if it were me, I would want a bit more of a celebration. I'm not saying that I want to have a $30,000 wedding with 300 guests - I don't even think I know that many people - in a 5 star hotel. I just want to be able to celebrate one of the biggest days of my life. Like, just a small ceremony in my backyard with some friends and close family - as in people I know, because most of my family I don't know, and that's just awkward - would be great. There are tons of ways to cut corners on costs, too. I don't know what all of them are, but for example, you can make your own invitations, make your own cake, do your own decorations, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with cutting corners to save money. That way you can still have money to start your lives together without having to pay the bills for 4 years after, and still have what I think would be a great wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment