Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ahhhh....

The ending of LWFC is bittersweet yet satisfying. I was thinking about our discussion in class on Tuesday about how Tita & Pedro's love was too intense for the earthly world. This led me to wonder if they had in fact, ended up getting married when Tita was younger, how the story might have changed? Would Tita still have been able to transmit her feelings through food or is this just a phenomen that occurs when she is denied marriage and her one true love? After considering the obvious fact that the story would have been vastly different in this case, I have to admit I don't see any sign of magic realism involving Tita's cooking BEFORE Pedro becomes involved. There is lots mentioned about how Tita loved to cook, how she grew up in the kitchen, but the first sign of food magic is when Pedro's love is introduced. LWFC remains one of my all time favorite novels and thanks to this class, every time I read it in the future I will have a more developed way of looking at things.

No comments:

Post a Comment