Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bet Me

I really liked this book, it was a really fast read and definitely an addicting one. I like the author's style and her opinions like in the articles posted on D2L by her. It really opens new insight into the world of romance literature, one that I really wasn't all too farmilar with for the most part until I took this class. I definitely will be pursuing more of her books now that I've read this one.

I really enjoy the main character, Minerva, the most. I love watching the way her personality evolves and strengthens as she becomes closer to Cal. The connection they begin with each other involving food is a very interesting one, reminds me of Like Water For Chocolate. It's an unusual way for a man to realize he's attracted to a woman, but I think it's perfectly fitting for the underlining message the author may be trying to send. Especially since there is such a pressure in our society that thin is beautiful. It is refreshing to see a main character that doesn't fit that standard and is still described as beautiful and viewed as such. This really shows a certain depth to Cal's character as well, to not be influenced by societal stereotypes.

Minerva's mother is an absolute nightmare! It is easy to see where a lot of Min's insecurities came from that are more apparent in the beginning of the book. The obsession over butter and carbs is beyond ridiculous to me. It's hard for me to imagine having a mother that could be so controlling and obsessive with weight. I think the author is making some nice connections that could be pointing to the underlining weight issues within our culture. It's a good way to bring these issues into the open, especially when viewing them from Min's eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment