Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wedding Fever!!!

Even though I'm already married, this week I've had a bit of wedding fever. The exciting news of my sister-in-law's engagement, coupled with the book we're reading in class, as well as the "Royal Wedding" has made me reflect on my own wedding. I even tried on my wedding dress the other night for the first time in years!



Looking back, these last 5 years of marriage, I occasionally get small twinges of regret about certain things. Like, why did we spend so much on flowers when we could have gotten the same or better at a grocery store? And why did we have plated food when we both wanted pizza? The truth is the kind of wedding you want when you are 17 is going to be different than when you are 23 (the year I got married) or when you are 36. And it's impossible to guess the outcome without knowing all the variables that will come about. The kind of wedding you will have depends not only on your own tastes but on your income, your family, traditions, your partner's family and traditions, etc.




One thing I'm pleased with is we saved a lot of money in a way that was meaningful for us. My MIL made the cake (which she does professionally) and my uncle video-taped. I made the invitations from a box kit at Hobby Lobby. We made our favors (every candy bar was wrapped individually in vintage wrapping paper, and cds of our favorite music) and me/bridesmaids put together all the bouquets ourselves.




And I'm not only proud of all that, but the creativity placed in other areas. Like the loose theme- A Midsummer Nights Dream, the homemade cookies made by our mothers, the black and white photo boards of our childhoods and our lives, the poem that was read aloud by a friend during the ceremony- written in fact, by my father, or the dance routine my closest girlfriends and I performed, the fact that it rained so bloody hard we had to move the ceremony indoors in the middle of the dining room- and we were okay we that. We were happy and it didn't matter that everything wasn't perfect. Everything fell away as soon we my husband and I locked eyes.




Tying into this whole wedding thing, is the book we're reading. Vision in White is fun, so far. I like the characters (though I keep mixing up whether they are male or female because of all the gender-bending names!) and I think the business Vows is great. I love that it features four strong women working together to create a success and something individualized for each bride and groom. It just sounds fun to work at! I keep picturing the giant house and how beautiful each wedding must look. Maybe not as beautiful as mine but I may be biased ;)

<-------
me and my bridesmaids










chocolate cake....filled with nutella




YUM









And they lived happily ever after....at least most of the time :)

3 comments:

  1. I love your last little line there ;o) It's soo true! They should tell you that part before you get married though... Your picture of you and your bridesmaids is just perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the book.. I love how four best friends have a business together and they have helped each other to make their dreams come true. Even tho Mac's blood family isn't around ... she has something much better and that's friends that have been there for her since forever. Her family may not be together, but her friends are what she needs anyways.

    you're wedding sounds like it was beautiful. As long as you had a great day... the "mistakes" you may have made with the things you wish you'd done different don't even matter as long as it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that even thought so much money was spent on your wedding it should not be something to regret. You one get married once......well if you "FOUND THE RIGHT ONE" and hopfully you have. But its a day that you will never get back and will remember forever,so why not! i I think that i agree and as long as mac's happy with herself thats all that matter because right now she is living her dream. BTW your wedding pics are very cute. i hope someday i can have a wedding as nice as your sounded :)

    ReplyDelete