Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rosaura's Strength

It truly took me until the very last chapter of this book to decide that I actually really liked it. Once the entire story came together, I found it to be a truly beautiful story of a lifelong love that no obstacle could extinguish. From the moment that Pedro and Tita’s eyes first met at a party, it was fascinating to follow their love story over the course of their lives as they grew, changed, and matured, but never fell out of love.

The person whose story I felt was underplayed in this book was Rosaura. She was at times portrayed as mean or unfeeling; however, I think that she was possibly the strongest character in the book. She was essentially forced into a marriage with a man that she didn’t love and who didn’t love her, and then spent her life watching that man continue his love affair with her sister. Although she struggled with it in the beginning, at the end of the book we discover that she in fact handled the situation with a great deal of grace throughout her life; that can’t possibly have been easy for her.

Although Tita is the character followed through the story, I really felt a connection to Rosaura’s strength and character. I think in her own way she truly loved Pedro too, and was able to see that the best thing for him was to step aside and allow him to be with her sister.

1 comment:

  1. I never had a good feeling about Rosaura. I'm not positive but I don't think that she was forced into the marriage. I think Rosaura is really selfish and she got what she deserved. First she married the man that she knew loved her sister, and then ended up having a boy which they lost and later a girl that she would punish and make her take care of Rosaura until she died. Tita knew how awful it felt not to be able to have a life to herself and Rosaura knew this. If I were Rosaura, I would never be able to forgive myself or ever look at my sister again because what she did throughout her life was terrible.

    ReplyDelete