Friday, March 25, 2011

Jodha Akbar--Jashne Bahara(High Quality)

For the week, I watched, Jodhaa Akbar, for my extra-credit blog.  I absolutely loved the actor, Hrithik Roshan and the actress, Aiswarya Rai together.  Hrithik is superb as the Emperor Akbar, I doubt if any actor of his generation could have handled this role as well.  And Aishwarya Rai, as usual looks stunningly beautiful.  For years, I had wished that they would act in a romance movie together.  They both showed in popular movies, but never together! Until a few years past, they finally made two movies together!  Wish come true!!  Personally, I think they just make the perfect actor-actress couple in the movies!  Although, secretly, I wished they were a couple in real life.  But that's not to be as both, Hrithik and Aiswarya, are already so in love with their own spouses in real life and I totally respect that!  As long as they do more love movies together.   It doesn't hurt if I let my imagination dream a little, I suppose.  ;oD

Jodhaa Akbar, is a sixteenth century Hindu love story about a marriage alliance between a great Mughal emperor, Akbar, and a Rajput princess, Jodhaa.  Akbar was politically successful in securing the Hindu Kush and futher extending his empire by conquest, tolerance, and force.  In order to futher strengthen his alliance with the Rajput, he married Jodhaa, the daughter of King Barhmal of Amer.  Jodhaa was a fiery Rajput princess who resented being a political pawn in a marriage alliance.  But soon she fell as much in love with the great emperor as he did with her. Religion and politics cannot seperate such a great emotion as love.  I especially love the scenes where the Emperor Akbar tames the wild elephant, the sword fight between the royal couple , and the scene where Jodhaa finally lets Akbar into her heart and they share a magical night together in her rooms.  The initial mistrust between Akbar and Jodhaa and the budding romance were well thought and executed in by the actors.  I just know that in my past life, I was the Rajput princess Jodhaa!! Beautiful as Aishwarya is, smart, and enchanting as a Rajput princess could be, even the great emperor Akbar, as handsome and breath-taking as Hrithik is, couldn't resist my charms! 

I don't think there is an Indian movie that has ever evoked such a strong mixture of emotions in me as this one. Each and every frame of the movie is a treat to the eyes. There's richness and grandeur in every aspect of the film.

'Jashn-e-bahara' and 'Khwaja mere Khwaja' are such heart catching songs. And then 'Azeem oh Shan Shahenshah' is one song that will remain etched in your memory long after watching the movie.  I find myself singing, humming and dancing to these songs, even though, I hardly know how to pronounce the words and what they mean.  I may be Hmong, but I love Hindu movies, especially their songs!  LOVE LOVE!

A scene from the movie: 

Jalaluddin Mohammad Akbar: I don't understand? 
Jodhaa Bai: No, you don't! You know how to wage war and conquer. But do not know how to rule.
Jalaluddin Mohammad Akbar: [confused] What did you say?
Jodhaa Bai: That you have only conquered me, but not won my heart yet... you should have at least tried to know what really happened. But the truth is that you are far removed from reality. You do not know how to win hearts. To do that, you need to look into their minds, discover their little pleasures and sorrows. And win their trust. Be one with their heartbeat! And the day you will succeed in doing that, you will rule my heart.
[2nd scene later, Akbar visits Agra Bazaar disguised as a commoner, accompanied only by two trusted court ministers, Todar Mal and Mahesh Das]
Todar Mal: Your Majesty, why are you doing this? Roaming in the bazaar without guards is dangerous.
Jalaluddin Mohammad Akbar: Don't worry. No one will recognize me. I'm doing it since there's a difference between conquering and ruling. To win the hearts of people, one must look into their minds.

All in all, a tremendous movie, and I strongly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment