Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Much Love Can We Hold?

Today in class we talked about the possibility of loving more than one person at a time. Most would say in today's society such a notion is non-existant. We don't live in a time of free love- sexually speaking or otherwise.
But this got me thinking, why? Why not?
Take for example, the love of a mother. A mother loves all her children. Her heart has the capacity to hold enough love for each. As a mother myself, I understand the boundless ability to love someone so much you physically feel it. And if I have more children, I know I'll love them the same way, at the same time as my son.
How then, can we not expect the same of romantic love? Why is it in our lives, socially and intimately, we're taught it is okay to love all of our friends, to love both our parents, to love our children, our pets and if that is not enough emotion spread around we must learn to love ourselves too ;)
But the thought of someone loving more than one person at a time is....well, shocking. Maybe. I feel if one really thinks about it then the concept isn't so far fetched. When infidelity or lying becomes an issue, well, then it puts the idea into a negative light.
So, is it possible that Catherine (the first) loved both Heathcliff and Edgar? Gasp!
Yeah, I think maybe she did.
Edgar represented security, stability, comfort, peace.
Heathcliff represented passion, fire, truth, depth.
Is one necessarily better than the other? I think not. I think in either marriage she would have been left wanting.
But, either way, I like the story better allowing myself to have hope that she cared for Edgar too. It's too depressing to assume she married him for only her position in life. The book has little redeeming qualities in the way of happiness and I'll selfishly hold onto the thought that Catherine had at least some love in her marriage before she died. It makes me like the story a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment