Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'm not sure what to think about this yet.

I'm really not sure what to think yet about this book. Yes, given we have just started reading this, I'm not sure. The text is sort of hard to read, its easy when the the characters in the book are not talking, then its clear as day but the way they talk is almost foreign. When reading how they talk, I feel like I'm 5 years old again because I go over it so slowly, and read it aloud..I feel pretty goofy doing that. I have heard this book is really good, and I am begining to think so as well.

In the first few pages of the book, as they were talking about how this "mysterious woman" was strolling through town and were wondering what her story was. It seems like they're almost prejudice or really judgemental. I guess that is alright for what era the book was based in, but it still doesn't make it right.
It seems as if all the books we have so far deal with a lot of judgement, social status and abuse.
There's almost seems to be a trend going on here.

What I really do like about the book though, is how Hurston does write the dialog. She makes it as if they are really talking, and makes the characters seem alive, and that is really admirable. The text is also more clear then how Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights.
Anyways, the book so far is alright, I'm positive as time goes on with the reading, the dialog will be easier and just come naturally. I'm excited to see what this book has to offer. :)

1 comment:

  1. That is exactly what I was feeling like. I also at certain parts tried to read it out loud to help with understanding the book better. I do agree with you in that I hoping that the book will became easier to read as we go further because we will hopefully be more familiar with the accent.

    ReplyDelete