Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Like Water for Chocolate

For starters, when I first picked up this book I thought this book would be some valentine's day type reading, but I was completely wrong. I really don't understand the way this book is written. It's not really hard to follow but I just don't understand why it focuses on recipes. My thought is that maybe it's because the name character, Tita, basically lives in the kitchen and loves food, cooking, and eating. Culinary is her life and this is her book?? That's what I'm getting out of the story so far.

Also, I think Pedro is a very sweet man to marry Tita's sister so that he could be closer to Tita. Since that was his only option he took it but only to be closer to his true love, and I understand that thinking. I was surprised to read the part when Pedro tells Tita his real reason for marrying her sister at his wedding because Tita's reaction was a shock. I didn't think she would be so happy because whether he really loves her or not, he is not hers. Throughout the book, their love for each other is only shown in their minds. They both long to be with each other. Although Pedro has a wife, I think he is just as alone as Tita because he does not care to be with Rosaura and doesn't enjoy her company as much as he enjoys the thought of fulfilling his lustful fantasies of being able to even touch Tita.

No comments:

Post a Comment