Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ships and Circumstance

Although the first time I read the book, the opening did not really catch my attention, for some reason this time I found the opening two paragraphs absolutely captivating. I love the imagery of the ship on the horizon, always seen but ever just out of reach. While I'm not one to categorize people into their "stereotypical" groups, I find that at my house, anyway, these descriptions are spot on.

My husband tends to set his goals huge; I sometimes get the idea that he is not able to fully enjoy each of his successes because he already has his eyes set on his next project. I worry too sometimes that he/we will never reach a point in life where he can sit back and enjoy what he has reaped. On the other hand, I feel that I have a tendency to live contently within our circumstances. I know that at times this is frustrating for my husband, because he sometimes views this as me being too easy-going or unmotivated. However, I have goals and dreams ~ I simply live them out and work towards them within the confines of my circumstances. Sometimes in life, we have to make choices because obstacles make it impossible to fulfill every single dream and goal; I feel that I am better at my husband at making choices and then moving forward within those choices without looking back to dwell.

With that said, I believe that each of our tendencies in this area compliment each other well. He has taught me how to reach out for the things that matter to me, rather than simply sitting back and hoping for them to fall into my lap. Likewise, I have helped him to become more laid-back as he thinks about our future, and to begin to realize that whatever our circumstances may be, we can live happily together within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment