Thursday, March 31, 2011

Emotional Cooking

Cooking with emotion in your food is a little weird. I'm not a cook so I don’t cook emotions into my food, and when I do cook I’m too worried about following the recipe and not burning anything to put emotion into my food. But there is that ingredient “made with love” on every package sent to you from grandma. That extra ingredient makes those cookies extra tasty.
I think the emotional cooking is the book is a little bit of an exaggeration. Tita’s extreme sadness of the loss of her love makes her cry and her tears fall into the cake batter and frosting. Because of her tears, the happy wedding is ruin and turned into a disaster with everyone having an overpowering feeling of sadness and then they all start vomiting. I don’t think that what Tita had in mind when she was baking the wedding cake.
Then with rose secretly given to Tita by her love Perdo, she makes a special recipe with rose petals. And the family that night is filled with intense passion and love. One of Tita’s sisters smells like rosebuds and she starts the house on fire! I think this realistic magic genre is more magic and less realistic. No one can start a house on fire from eating rose petal food and taking a shower. That doesn’t seem very realistic to me.
If someone is cooking with that much emotion to affect other people in that way, she is probably a witch brewing spells and cursing her meals or she needs a lot of help.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. This book is definitely over the top and a little difficult to follow.

    ReplyDelete