Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mama Elena

To be honest, I really am not liking Mama Elena. She has a really hot temper, and she basically makes her kids miserable, because they are afraid to cross her in the wrong way. Tita just wants to be free to love Pedro, not be doomed to a life having to take care of her mother. Tita should be allowed to follow her families tradition in marriage, because it is not fair to be prohibited from it, just because she is the youngest. It's still not fair. Because of Mama Elenas matriarchal status, Tita has struggle with individuality, as well as being truely happy. I feel bad for her. As of right now, Mama Elena is NOT my cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. Mama Elena- I do not think I really like her in this book either, but I believe it just has to do with the way things were back then. The discipline is strict and rather violent, although if she did not take things that way I do not think things would turn out the way they would with Tita. Maybe in my point of view, perhaps Mama Elena acts that way because she is afraid that something bad will happen to Tita. Or she just has a hard time expressing her thoughts and self and it all just comes out wrong.

    ReplyDelete