Thursday, March 17, 2011

What a Coincidence..

As I finished reading "Their Eyes Were Watching God", I felt like I've heard this story before. In actuality I have, but it was the movie with Halle Berry. I really enjoyed reading this book because it helped give me an understanding how some people go through life searching for that right someone, even if they might not have the right "things" or possessions and security like we have read about in the other books, who they can connect and have a loving relationship with. I like the fact that this book embraces the thought that a person can have more then one possibility for love in their life, compared to the usual stereo type that there is only one. Also the book shows that not everyone is perfect (no one is actually) and we just have to accept the flaws of others and try to live with them. Which I think is exactly what Janie was doing with Tea Cake when he acts so juvenile and irresponsible. If we can't learn to live with someone maybe it is best to live without them and move on to find someone more "tolerable". I think that's what Janie was trying to do with all her marriages. She just had to search through all the ruble to find the gem. Tea Cake opened her heart to love and even with his passing a piece of him will always reside there.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, I think Janie was just searching for that one "gem" to make her happy. I think Janie left Logan for exactly that reason, that she wanted someone she could live decently with. And definitely no one is perfect, no matter what anyone things. Just like you said, we have to just accept the flaws and learn to love them or see past them. I think all her different marriages made her stronger and better prepared for the next one until she could find that one where she could just be herself, which is what she wanted, to be herself and to be in love.

    ReplyDelete