Thursday, March 31, 2011

the connection of food and emotions

The concept of magic realism to me, is really interesting. I just really love that kind of thing and it makes me really like this book. In our first discussion we talked about how Tita's emotions get seen through the food. At first I thought it was a little strange but now I really like it. Tita was only ever able to express her emotions through her food because if she ever showed them physically then there would have been consequences from Mama Elena. She doesn't control it, which makes it so much better. I just find it fascinating that when she is feeling extreme about something (her feelings are at an extreme) than the food is affected and things happen to everyone! I think that we do try to get out emotions through cooking, maybe not to the extent like in the book but we definitely still do it. We can see it, in how our emotions affect our food constantly, or how we closely associate memories with food because of the emotions that occurred with them. In today's discussion we talked about Tita and Pedro and I just don't like him! To me he just seems like a coward. If he really loved her he would have run off with her, not marry her sister! His logic just doesn't make sense, and even less so now. John is who I think she should be with because he was the one truly there for her when she needed someone and he truly cares for her. Pedro is just a selfish person who is so jealous that he did what he did to her, at the end of the section. (Not that she didn't want it too) But she wanted to marry John and now Pedro may have ruined everything. To me it just seems like Tita was confused a lot throughout the book and now she will probably be even more so even though she was just within sight of being happy without a ton of drama...

1 comment:

  1. I thought the magic realism was kinda neat too but it has a way of confusing me every now and again. I'm not really sure if the things happening are for real or what the heck is going on at times. It is definitely interesting though.

    ReplyDelete