Thursday, March 31, 2011

Like Water For Chocolate

When I first started to read Like Water For Chocolate, I really was getting into the book.  This is the first book this semester in this class that I can say that I actually am enjoying and am really getting into.  I really felt bad for the character of Tita because of Mama Elena and the way she was treated.  To be told that you could not get married to the man you love and on top of that to have your own mother offer up your older sister to marry that same man is just horrible.  I guess I can see Pedro's view and reasoning for agreeing to the marriage but for Tita to have to see the man she loves marry her sister has to be difficult and heart wrenching.  I think the reason Mama Elena gave for why Tita could not marry is ridiculous and flawed.  What happens if there had only been one daughter or no daughters at all?  The theory that Tita has to care for her mother and cannot marry isn't right.  If that is how it works than who will take care of Tita when she gets older?  It seems that no one, including Mama Elena takes that into account and that Mama Elena only really cares about herself and she doesn't care that she breaks her own daughter's heart by not allowing Tita to marry Pedro.

2 comments:

  1. No mother or father has the right to do something like that. It serves her right that Pedro still confesses his love to Tita, and marries the sister to be close to her. I just wish Tita chased after them after they left Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree! I dislike Mama Elena, and Tita deserves better. It must have been heartbreaking for her when Pedro agreed to marry her sister. I still think Mama Elena needs to get a better grip on reality and stop being such a hot head, making her own children afraid of her. Poor Tita :(

    ReplyDelete