Thursday, March 10, 2011

pointless writing

I'm not really sure why I had to read ten pages about a mule, or a full page of a buzzing bee around the young girls ear. So much of this book has a writing style that I really don't like. Some of the metaphors were plain weird. i don't think Charley Sheen would say some of the stuff written in this book. It was hard to establish what was really going on, like the real facts and what were suppose to focus on, there was a bubble of  confusion around it all. Like instead of saying in a page of two she was sheltered by her husband, there was all this weird writing that had to be sorted through. I didn't mind that their was accents, it actually made the reading kind of interesting because it gave a playful twist to the book. But when you have to pare that with stories that have nothing to do with the plot it gets irritating and boring, I must say I fell asleep a couple of times while reading this, i even skipped like two pages and it was still talking about that dang mule. We get it, shes humane and caring and everyone else including her husband are mean stupid hickerbillies. Her husband not so much stupid but he does, from what i've made out is pretty mean to her. My English teacher says Edit, Edit, Edit. If you can cut something out do it. To me this writing sucks.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to disagree with you because there are a lot of things in this book which are relavant and interesting. If you were listening to the discussion today about why Hurston wrote the book and how it is different from other books, you would give this book a chance. I just believe that every book should be given a chance to be read or something of that sort. All that detailed writing about something or an event happening is just a kind of metaphor in Janie's life and what is happening around her. Just my two cents about the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand how the plot might be confusing to you, I mean, "Wuthering Heights" was difficult for me at first. I think that if you give this book a chance and open your mind to Hurston's writing style, you'll see that it is a lovely novel. Unlike the other books that we've read so far, this novel reads almost like prose--it's poetry in novel form. It's incredibly detailed, and sometimes that means that a section has to last 10 pages. Once you finish, you'll see how it all ties together and makes wonderful sense.

    ReplyDelete