Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wuthering Heights

I really enjoyed reading Wuthering Heights, I was surprised because at first, I didn't think I was going to enjoy it. The ending caught me off guard. I'm not sure if I would exactly call it a happy ending but it's not necessarily a sad ending. It just seemed a rather moderate conclusion. It seems that Catherine II and Hareton find their own happy ending after enduring all these hardships. Hareton especially, I think deserves his happy ending.

As for Heathcliff, I think in the end, he finally found his happiness in death. Death was the only way that he felt he could ever be reunited with Catherine again. Their relationship was so volatile and destructive, it seemed fitting that their story would have a sadder ending. I was disappointed with how early in the book Catherine died, and how there was only that last passionate scene between the two of them before she died. I had expected their story to be the main focus throughout the book, I was surprised when one of the main objects of that love story died halfway through the book. Of course, their story still remains the basis of the entire novel. Even after Catherine's death, her presence is still there (in terms of the "ghost", possibly quite literally) but also in the way she is remembered by Heathcliff. His very demeanor and the things he says, especially towards the end, show a man that truely is still in love and suffering for that love.

As for the Twilight adaptions of the Wuthering Heights covers, I do not see a problem with this. I do think this is a way of drawing in new readers to a classic book they might not have held interest in before. I might have a biased opinion, being a huge Twilight fan myself. But as an example, when I read Eclipse, I was always curious about the book Wuthering Heights, since it is quoted and referenced many times throughout the story. I always wanted to read it, not just because Bella read it, but because of the way it was described by the characters. I think this could be a positive influence of a younger generation of readers, to find a way to connect them to the classics other than in assigned reading for schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment