Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Magic of Love

Let me just start by saying that I love this book. A few weeks ago, I was bored and decided to pick it up off my book shelf after realizing that sooner or later we'd have to read it. I laid down in bed and finished it that night.

The characters that Esquivel created are so life-like, yet depict something more fantastical than any other character I've read. Mama Elena, for example, is like other mothers: demanding and strict, however, she holds a higher power than other authoritative figures like the men. Tita can cook her emotions into the meal, which is seen at the wedding and when Gertrudis leaves spontaneously.

Not only are the characters stranger, but so are the situations. Esquivel starts off with a normal scene and changes it at the drop of a pin--it becomes intertwined with magical elements. I think that this is one of the most brilliant characteristics of the book. It definitely left me thinking if what I just read was real or not. The one thing that was true, though, was the love story. Esquivel does a wonderful job of not disguising it or hiding it behind the magic; instead, it is raw love. And that is what makes this book purely magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment