Thursday, March 3, 2011

Love sick

I've noticed throughout the book that the characters blame their illnesses on others. Catherine, when she was sick, said it was Heathcliff who caused it for breaking her heart. Heathcliff, in this last section we read, went to Cathy telling her his son is sick because she doesn't write to him anymore and doesn't visit. It's like they think that a broken heart can actually cause illness.

I wanted to comment on how Catherine blamed Heathcliff for her being sick and dying. I agree with what Heathcliff said to her during that time. I don't think he caused her any pain, she did that all to herself by choosing to not marry him. She obviously loved him more then Edgar, but decided that security mattered more then what the heart wants. She let her mind decide what to do with her life rather than listening to her heart and she is the one to blame for what ever sadness she had in life. I do not feel any pity for her at all, and I think she deserved every word Heathcliff said to her about breaking her own heart.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. They think that being broke hearted is like the end of the world. When someone gets hurt all world stops or gets worst. Maybe the characters should take there love lives in their own hands instead of what is socially acceptable and letting other people talk for you.

    ReplyDelete