Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Extra credit blog:" Chasing Amy"..or chasing myself?

My summary of this movie for those that have not seen it will not do it justice. "Chasing Amy" is a love story with a not so happy ending. It is about a guy who falls in love with a lesbian and she falls for him as well. As they begin to date he finds out that she has a past and was not completely honest about it. He of course cannot handle this and they end up breaking up. The story that is told to the main character during the movie about "losing the one" which was "Amy", is a very honest depiction of not realizing that you had the "one" until you have lost it.
It is very difficult to write a short blog about this movie and how it affects and pertains to me. I could spend two weeks writing a paper on this movie. I can much appreciate the paper that you (DR. J) wrote on this and would love to read it if you still have it.
With that said I will attempt to explain what the movie means to me. First of all, I found the movie to be very raw and real. The acting was poor at times, but that just added to the realism. The dialog in this movie reminds me of how my friends and I talk or have talked in the past. I find pieces of myself in many of the main characters, especially "Bankie" and "Holden". The act of dating in the movie seemed to be very natural and not forced. It was just two friends becoming closer and eventually lovers, all through the act of communication.
I cannot exactly relate to the specific circumstances of the breakup or how it affected the friendship, all though I have had breakups damage friendships that took years to repair. There are way to many individual memories and circumstances to recollect here that pertain to this movie.
The story of "Chasing Amy" used in the diner scene is what hits home the most for me. The first few times I had watched this movie I was younger and had thought I was in love. I have come to know that I was not. As I have mentioned in previous blogs I have only been in love one time. It is this one time that I thought I had started to "Chase Amy" after the break up. After watching the movie nearly three years after the breakup I have come to the conclusion that it is not "Amy" that I am chasing, but myself.
They say that you cannot truly love someone until you can love yourself. I feel that it is the journey of self discovery and the ability to recognize the "one" when they present themselves to you that becomes the act of "Chasing Amy". I now feel and recognize that it is chasing myself and not "Amy" that this movie and my life is really about. "Amy" was just the catalyst for self discovery and love. Once she is lost you will search for her forever and long for what was until there is reconciliation or the new "one" is found.
I cannot seem to get through a viewing of this movie without getting emotional and remember all of the good and bad time I have had while being in love. This movie seem to get better with every viewing and year that passes.
So with new strength and understanding I will continue to chase "Amy" who I now know is me. Hopefully not forever"Chasing Myself".

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love, love, love that movie. Just had to throw that out there. Wonderful way of relating it to yourself as well. =)

    ReplyDelete