Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Food Connection & Love/Sex Scenes

So I wanted to write about 2 different ideas for my blog.  The first being that I find it interesting that both Like Water for Chocolate and Bet Me use food in some main way in the two storylines.  Food is such an integral part of our lives and to turn food into what connects a couple in the way Crusie has done makes me want to keep turning the page to see what happens next.
In class, we touched on the whole sex/love scene aspect of romance novels.  I do think that any good writer has the ability to write a good love/sex scene, it just depends on what the author decides to do with that and for me, what they do can either make or break the scene.  I have read a number of romance novels in my life by a few different authors.  I can say that there have been times when I would reread what I just read because it made me think either, "what did I just read?" or "is that all?".  Other authors seem to like dragging the scene on a little too long.  What I really dislike is when an author feels the need to say things in a way instead of just flat out saying the actual word.  For instance, saying long, hard manly member instead of long, hard penis.  I know there are people that would prefer the flowery, tamer version, if you will, but not me.  I am more of the "just say what you mean" type person.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't need to read a sex scene that takes six pages to get through. I'd rather just have the real thing if it's going to take up that much of my time!
    I do think Cruisie is good at the sexy stuff :)

    ReplyDelete