Thursday, April 14, 2011

Connection of food again...

In Bet Me and Like Water for Chocolate there is a definite connection to food and emotions. In Bet Me Min denies herself good food and because of that Cal can use food to get to know her. Because she denies herself good food and because she enjoys food so much, it kind of becomes an almost sexual thing between herself and Cal. I love that Cal enjoys how much she enjoys food because of the stereotype out there that most guys want a girl who may like food but are skinny, while Min isn't exactly skinny. In class some one said that eating the same thing or going to the same place multiple times in a week was weird, but I don't think it is!! When I really like something (like RICE!!) I can eat it a bunch of times in a week. Also for restaurants whenever I go to a restaurant multiple times, I always get the same thing, I mean I'm open to trying new foods, its just I prefer to get things that I already know are good, that will make me happy to eat! Lastly I wanted to mention how some people in class said that it was weird or that it doesn't happen, that in the book Min's group of friends and Cal's group of friends were dating each other. In my school that happened quite a lot and even outside of that, we can see that all the time. So basically I don't think its weird at all, because I've seen it so much. Also though it might just be where we live, because people act differently in different areas of the world.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the connection of food and love in both Like Water For Chocolate and Bet Me. I love the way Cal gets Min to eat the foods she refused to before, because it shows the kind of influence - for lack of a better word - that he has over her, and how different their relationship is from Min and David's, for example. I especially liked the part with the donuts; I thought it was really sweet. To me, Cal feeding Min the donuts and then kissing her was basically telling her that he likes her - is attracted to her - the way she is, and that she doesn't need to change for him. And isn't that what love should be?

    ReplyDelete