Thursday, April 7, 2011

Unsatisfying Ending

In the final class discussion we had on Like Water for Chocolate, we discussed many things. The first was whether or not we thought the ending was "emotionally satisfying." I didn't find it satisfying at all. One reason for this was because I really don't like Pedro at all, so I thought it was ridiculous that Tita and Pedro should - for lack of a better phrase - end up together. I would have liked it a lot better if Tita and John would have gotten married, like they were going to before Pedro messed things up. I also feel like Pedro didn't deserve to be with Tita because he didn't fight Mama Elena to be with her at all; he just gave up and married Rosaura. John, however, helped Tita through one of the most difficult times in her life that occurred mostly because of Pedro. Therefore, the end of the book only made me frustrated and angry.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I think if Pedro really loved her he would have ran off with her or just have let her be happy like she could have been with John. John gave her everything she needed, when she really needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to keep in mind the culture and society they were dealing with at the time that their relationship would have occurred. Also, they were both young and when Pedro first made the decision(with good intent) he made it rash and did not realize what he was putting himself into. Also, keep in mind that Pedro's father was in the room as well when he asked Mama Elena's permission. And I am sure being a young immature male, he felt stuck. Either way just because he was married to Tita's sister does not mean it was a real marriage. It was like an arranged marriage. Finally, I think it was stronger of him and more rebellious(for a young adult) to do what he did. It probably heightened the romance and intensified it, the sneaking around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the book had an unsatisfying ending and I actually wrote about that in my blog. I do not like characters dying when it doesn't seem to add to the story, I believe that, in this case, it took away from the story and caused a great book, in my opinion, to be a bit of a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete