Thursday, April 7, 2011

GAH!!

Happy ending?? I think that Like Water for Chocolate definitely did not have a happy ending. Personally I hated the last section of the book, it just seemed random and misplaced. I didn't even want her to end up with Pedro because he just didn't really seem to truly care and love her the whole time. If I look at Janie's choice compared to Tita's choice involving love, I think that I agree with Janie's choice because I think she and Tea Cake had a real love. I think she killed him because she loved him and knew their love would never be the same again because of the rabies. While to me Tita's choice seemed while filled with passion and maybe a happy one for her, I think she would have been very happy with John! One thing that is interesting though is that the huge blanket Tita was working on gets set on fire right before she dies. I think it's meant to symbolize that since Pedro and Tita's love couldn't happen on Earth than everyone needed to know and see their passion happen figuratively through fire engulfing everything surrounding them. If I compare Like Water for Chocolate and Wuthering Heights than we can see that there is an important connection. In both books the last generation is happy and available to do what they want. It seems like the tragedies and problems of the generations before lead to the next generation to be truly happy. (Sometimes tragedies need to happy before good things can...) The last thing I wanted to mention from our discussion was about "open" relationships. To me it seems like a bad idea because things never go perfectly like they want. There just seems to always be something going on like doubt, control issues, jealousy and such that even if not expressed are usually still there, just suppressed. So basically to me this seems like the least "perfect" relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment