Thursday, April 28, 2011

The "M" word!

The word marriage seems to carry the most weight and expectation of any other word used in American culture. Couple marriage with the religous undertones and fairy tale fantasies, and you have a recipe for disaster. Many people feel that they have to have the big and expensive wedding because that is what their families, friends, and societies expect. Instead of celebrating a private moment between two people, they fall for the traps of societal pressures. After the time and cost is calculated to create the perfect experience, do the couples involved actually achieve a greater sense of commitment and a happier beginning to the rest of their lives?
I would argue that for that one day they do experience those things. However once the honeymoon is over and the realities of debts and time invested in the one perfect day sets in, the couple will experience unnecessary stress from living up to the expectations set by others. This does not seem to be the healthiest, productive, or the most full filling start to a happy marriage.
I am sure that many will find my opinion negative and anti marriage. I happen to be pro marriage, finding the right person at the right time and place has proven difficult, but I still dream. What I am opposed to is the pressures of the perfect wedding and the debt associated with it.
My perfect wedding involves a tropical location with a sunset backdrop, me and my new wife and a couple weeks of marital bliss exploring and enjoying paradise together. No external worries or pressures. Just us. That is the fairytale for me. Reality will set in at some point but for those moments there is the perfect reality.
I will conclude that whatever two people in love decide is the perfect day for themselves, then they have their fairytale. Some may choose the debt and ceremony. others may choose the Vegas wedding. As long as they are happy in their decision and it is what both of them have come to agree on and pursue together then they get their fairy tale day.....and live happily ever after.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you on this. I've known many people that overspend on their weddings, only to be buried in debt for the first few years of marriage. I think the ceremony is important but I do think the cost of weddings is a bit overboard. Some people lose sight of the actual purpose and get swallowed up in the wedding excitement moreso than the actual marriage.

    ReplyDelete