Saturday, February 26, 2011

Various Points



In class we discussed in small amount, our opinions and emotions concerning Catherine's discussion to marry Edgar. Her reasoning for doing so, made me look back at Pride and Prejudice and what we discussed on the various discussions of marriage. As a whole, our class saw Elizabeth Bennet as the strong, independent, and more modern woman.... she ultimately married for love, not because of money. She had the chance of marrying to benefit her family directly (keeping their) land, and she denied the moves of her cousin. She also could have married Mr. Darcy prior to having feelings, just to gain his wealth. Yet, neither time did she give in, not until her heart decided it was best. Now, here we have Catherine who is the complete opposite, and marries because of society and security. Her romance with Heathcliff, would be looked down upon, but it was real. Poor Heathcliff is never able to completely move on. He becomes stuck, and it is not like he doesn't have enough issues to deal with. I see her as a slave to culture, a woman without her own opinion, and worthless. To me, Heathcliff is way to good for her!

Prior to deciding on my subjects for this blog, I glanced at a few others and came across a reference to Twilight. First, I am a huuuuuggggge Twilight fan, and also remember Bella's obsession with this book, especially Heathcliff. Which explains so much... when we were discussing the hero of the time period, I pointed it out to my neighbors the similarities to Edward Cullen(Bella's love). I love Edward and i love Heathcliff. Both are lost int he world, misunderstood, mysterious, shunned by society, and extremely captivating. I know there are many in the class whom are bored or "haters" of this book, but i am really getting into the style, the story, and Heathcliff. <3

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE Twilight fan as well, so you're definitely not alone. All my friends laugh at me, I'm a big nerd haha. I kept thinking about all the references Stephanie Meyer makes to this book too while reading it. It's very interesting to compare the two, especially considering the difference in years they were written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Catherine does exercise her opinion when she chooses to marry Linton ~ whether you agree with her reasons or not, she had them and followed them, and that makes her the opposite of worthless.

    ReplyDelete