Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice was always one of those books that I wanted to read but never had the chance to. I absolutley love the movie version with Kiera Knightly and figured with a movie this good the book had to be pretty decent. I misjudged the book at first because I thought that since it was written like a million years ago that it was going to be hard to understand. I have read books in the past that were written around the same time period and the way they are written is so hard to follow. When I started reading the book I found it easier to follow than I imagined, but there were still some words I had never seen before and some of the language is different than I was used to. I finished reading the first chapters that we needed to be completed for Tuesday and I was prepared for class. I woke up that morning and found that the snow in my backyard had doubled, luckily it wasn't my turn to drive that day. After I got out of the shower I checked my phone to find a text message from everyone that I carpool with saying that they were not going to school due to the weather. I had to brave the weather on my own. This didn't turn out too well because I got stuck at the end of my driveway and the back end of my car was half-way in the street. There was no way that I was going to make it to school now. Instead of going to class I read the next reading assignment and while I was reading I had the urge to watch the movie. I was amazed to find how similar the movie is to the book. They even took lines from the book and put them in the movie. Although the movie was a little condenced and lacked some of the same things in the book I found that it was very close. I am picky when it comes to books turned into movies because sometimes they totally change the whole book.

2 comments:

  1. I agree- I hate when they alter movies so much, especially if the book is popular and well-received. Why change things?
    I also think the Price & Prejudice (and other older books) may seem intimidating at first. The language is much more subtle so you really have to use your imagination and brain to deduce what they are saying. For example, Elizabeth never comes right out and says the words "I can't stand Caroline Bingley, what a snob!" but you know that's what she's thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree as well, they can be intimidating at first, but then they turn out to be not so bad. Like I said in my blog, I kind of didn't always understand what they were saying and had to re-read a lot of the text. But after a while I understood it. I think that it's a good thing that they incorporate some of the text in with the movie, it helps make it more realistic and get a better feel for what is truly going on in the story.

    ReplyDelete