Thursday, February 17, 2011

emotionally satisfying?

Okay so I thought that I would not like Pride and Prejudice all that much because I thought it would be rather boring. But I actually did like it, I mean its not like the usual books I read but it still captured my interest. I think the ending could have been better, but for the style of book it is I think it was pretty good. It was emotionally satisfying because it really didn't leave anything for you to want that wasn't already implied. In class there was some discussion about if an ending could be emotionally satisfying without a betrothal, and I definitely think there can be. In the time of Pride and Prejudice it probably would be unsatisfying without a betrothal but with all the different kinds of love stories out there now, there can be a ton of different emotionally satisfying endings without betrothal.

Another point I wanted to talk about was about Wickham and Lydia. I think that they were definitely not in love. Maybe Lydia thought she was at first, but after a while you can tell she isn't. Wickham didn't love Lydia, he only married her because Darcy bribed him into it. On page 366 it pretty much tells how they don't love each other. " His affection for her soon sunk into indifference; hers lasted a little longer; and in spite of her youth and her manners; she retained all the claims to reputation which her marriage had given her."

Basically I feel like the book kind of ended with a "happily ever after" for the main couples (not Wickham and Lydia). Not the fairy tale kind obviously but a pretty good one anyways. Mrs. Bennet gets three of her five daughters married so she can relax for a while, Mr. Bennet probably then gets his time to relax since she is, and the two elder sisters have their own little happily ever afters with the men they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment