Thursday, February 17, 2011

Not happy.

I am still sticking with my very unpopular opinion that the ending of "Pride and Prejudice" was terrible and rushed. I will also point out that the book as a whole was very slow and did not seem to move in any kind of discernible direction. We knew that Mrs.Bennett wanted her daughters married and that the story was to revolve around that. However the interactions between all of the characters were very short and seemed to lack information and resolutions. Then it was off to another scene with another set of characters and the same problems with context and meaningful events to move the story along.
I would argue that if you removed half to three quarters of the characters in this book it may have been possible to craft a very deep, personal, and engaging story while still written in the gossipy speech pattern that it was.
Jane Austen attempts to write an epic love story on a grand scale. In her attempt she has so many characters and uses their back stories to show how they are related or acquainted to the main characters. By doing this she loses the focus of the love story between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. Then finds herself having to push for a simple and neat ending to something that was never really developed in the first place.
I found myself hoping for more from Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth while I was reading. I would get a small character insight or a slight story or character arc and then be left with nothing. As soon as something of interest was there it was gone again. Unfortunately the whole read was very frustrating and disappointing. I have read several "classic" books and am usually pleasantly surprised by what is written and how the stories are told. This book is not one of those.
I look forward to seeing if it is the writing styles or the content in the upcoming books ,that I am finding so displeasing. I have watched and enjoyed love stories in the past. Titanic is one of the movies that I had no desire to see, yet when I did I was captivated and on the edge of my seat to see how the story evolved and ended.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about the ending feeling somewhat rushed. You have all that buildup to the ending and when you finally get to the end it feels like you were cheated out of something. There was a feeling of being unsatisfied with the way Austen finished the book but yet how the characters of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy ended up was something that made it just a bit less of a letdown.

    ReplyDelete