Sunday, February 27, 2011

Not A Fan...

I read Wuthering Heights several years ago, probably at the age of 11 or 12. I don't remember much about it other than that it was weird and intense.

Having started re-reading it I can only say I'm not impressed. While I appreciate the Romantic style and see some good qualities to the work, I can't get passed the fact that it is difficult for me to get into. I keep losing my train of thought while reading it, I can't quite understand what is happening. I have to question myself several times and go back and read things again and again in order to get what is going on. For example, I kept looking back to find the name of Hindley's wife. It wasn't in the first few pages after she'd been first introduced. I kept going back to see if I had just missed it. I still couldn't tell you her name! If it is in there, it wasn't in any spot that stood out to me.

While the book has it's shortcomings I do enjoy Heathcliff, though I know some others do not like him. He is about the only character I sympathize with. I think he does follow the hero type of the time and I find his passion riveting. I somewhat remember the end of the novel but it's a bit blurry. For the reason of Heathcliff, I'm actually looking forward to finishing the story to find out what happens next! But so far in this class, Pride & Prejudice takes first place in my heart for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment