Thursday, February 24, 2011

Destructive Love

We discussed in class today whether we are finding that we "like" or feel connected to any of the characters. I have to say that really all of the characters repulse me in some way, and I don't feel a strong emotional pull towards any of them. I feel more like I have a morbid fascination with continuing to discover their story.

I find the relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine to be the most fascinating and the one that pulls me in the most. Although it's not necessarily a popular opinion, I believe that not all people who fall in love are meant to be together. I believe that some love can be so intense that it literally destroys the people involved; it's possible for a love between two people to be so strong that it can literally consume them. In my opinion, to find a love like that is amazing; I don't believe that many people ever find it and those who experience it for any length of time are lucky. But at the same time, it can't last.

If two people with such an all-consuming love stay together, there are two outcomes. Either it will bring them pain, which I think is evidenced by Heathcliff and Catherine. Even though they are not "together", simple proximity draws them to each other. They are still living out their relationship and that relationship is causing each of them to implode in different ways. Or if the two people are going to be together successfully, they have to channel their all-consuming love into a productive love that has other outlets for their passions.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you analyzed the relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff. I think you are dead on the target with their romance. I agree with you, not all people that fall in love are meant to be together. I think this is an excellent example of that statement. Their love seems to be destructive, and I'm sure, it will have a destructive ending.

    ReplyDelete