Thursday, February 24, 2011

not getting out of class what i was hoping for?

I was not sure what to expect from this class at the beginning. What i am finding out is that it forces me to search my own sole. I am constantly questioning my personal beliefs in regards to relationships and societal norms. I am also finding out that I may be as guilty of disregarding love for societal and family pressures. I am discovering that I am not quite as internally flawless as a person as i have led my self to believe. I am still having a hard time getting into these books. I am coming to the conclusion that it is because of how the stories are driven and not by what they are about. I notice that both of the books we have read and or are reading are by female authors and that the subject matter is focused on the female as well. I see the writings and speech patterns in the book mimic the daily interactions of women. The way women typically communicate and the importance that their desires play in their thought process is evident in the readings. This style is quite difficult for the male mind to follow and receive fulfillment from. I would imagine that if a romance novel were written in the adventure style and follow a logical sequence then more men would be better educated on the inner workings and desires of women. As with the last book every scene or interaction seems to not lead to any great conclusion. It tells a back story or details an event and they accumulate. Then out of the blue it seems the point of the story is revealed and then it ends a few chapters later. As a male reader it is very frustrating and uneventful to read in this fashion. If the only thing i get from this class is a deeper understanding of myself through the class discussions, then it will be a very fruitful experience.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry but I had to laugh to myself ~ if a romance novel were written in the way you suggest, then it wouldn't give men any insight to the inner workings and desires of women at all! Women's minds are different, all over the place and less logical in their movement from one subject to the next, and often encompassing many non-related thoughts at the same time! I definitely commend you for putting yourself out there and trying to get all that you can out of the class.

    ReplyDelete