Monday, February 7, 2011

Joining the love lit class- better late than never.

Well, I just joined this class so I figured I'd do a blog to try and account for the one due on thursday. I caught up to where the class is with Pride and Prejudice this weekend.

At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book, I'm normally not a big fan of classic books. But it is actually pretty interesting. It's amazing to me the differences in the way women were treated back then. I really like the main character, Elizabeth. She has such a different temperament than the other girls. She strikes me as more of an independent character, she won't allow herself to be used. For example, she won't accept the proposal from Mr. Collins just so her family's estate will stay in the immediate family. She doesn't want to marry just for the sake of money or her mother's desires. I found this commendable of her, especially since times were so different back then. It is striking to me the way women are almost thought of children, to be looked after and possessed throughout their lives. The father seems to hold control over them until they find a husband. I understand that this was many years ago, but the concept still drives me nuts while reading the novel. I think the portrayal of Elizabeth's independence is a great counterstrike to those traditions. It shows that she is a capable woman, that she wants to be in charge of her own destiny.

1 comment:

  1. i was in your same position when it came to wondering if i was going to like the book or not, so far i dislike it but hopefully your enjoying it, good luck with the class!!

    ReplyDelete