Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pride and Prejudice ending.

I really enjoyed reading the Pride and the Prejudice, much more than I thought I would when I started the first few chapters. I normally am picky about what type of romance books I read. I loved the eloquent conversations and word use throughout the book. That's something I really feel we're losing in our society (if we haven't lost it already). It is refreshing to read a story of when the simplicity of a conversation was so well thought out and vocabulary enriched every sentence. Even the more minor, ostentatious characters (like Lydia) had an excellent vocabulary. Of course, Jane Austen is an amazing author, her books are well known for a reason, she was immensely talented.

I thought the ending was well suited for the story. It was simple and to the point. Like in the article we read for class, most aspects of a romance novel is the build up to the actual uniting between the hero and heroine. I found this to be very true for Pride and the Prejudice. After the initial time Mr. Darcy proposed to Jane I found myself just dying for him to come back into the story, especially after the letter he wrote her, justifying and explaining himself. The book builds such suspense and anticipation while you wait for these two to finally connect with each other. However, like some of the others have stated on here, I do wish that the ending would've had more details of after their marriage. Not just social class details, or living situations but affectionate conversations between the two. More apparent declaration, so to speak, of their love for each other. But then, that might not have tied into each character's personalities, who both seem to be more on the "less gushy" side. But regardless, I thought it was a wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment