Thursday, February 3, 2011

Surprising Connection With Character

I have always been a reader, a writer, and philosopher of sorts, but never did I think I could relate to a character in a book such as Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice. When discovering this would be the first novel of the semester, I felt kind of uninterested. I figured, "oh great a normal era love story book"... with the same normal fall head over heals pre-feminist women. Yet to my surprise along comes the rebel of sorts Elizabeth Bennet. A woman misunderstood during her time by her peers, and whom would not give into anyone's (but her own) wants for her.

She stands out from the others... she is bright, beautiful without the "prissiness", stubborn, and somewhat of an enigma. Like myself she knows what she doesn't want, but not what she does want. She sees in Mr. Collins a disgraceful, hideous, slimy, idiotic man, and knows she for sure does not want him. Then there is Mr. Wickham, whom she thinks completely she wants, and yearns for his attention. Finally, there is the arrogant and mysterious Mr. Darcy.... whom she does want and does desire (just subconsciously). The constant, "is it love or is it hate"melodrama is what makes soap operas so popular.

*I love how she is an "old school" feminist, before there even was such a word. *

PS...I really didn't know what you expect out of our blogs, if you can give me any suggestions let me know! Also, I did not worry about perfecting grammar...since it is a blog/personal journal of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment