Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why so much travel?

I am starting to see that all of the characters in "Pride and Prejudice", no matter the income level travel and take extended holidays. This strikes me as odd. If I compare travel and time away from work or home in modern times to the era represented in the book, I would most certainly need to be wealthy to afford being gone for several months out of the year. As far as a I can piece together the Bennett's have been away from home several times. These trips have totaled at least a month of time , if not more. I hope we can discuss this topic in class next week. I am curious as to how travel and vacations seem to be prevalent in "Pride and Prejudice". In my modern life I am lucky to be able to travel out of state to see family once a year, or once every two to three years. If travel and vacations were built into the society and economic business structure two hundred plus years ago, then I would have to question our modern practices. Today we have many modern conveniences and travel is easier, yet we get to spend less time traveling and enjoying friends and family. I would consider giving up modern comforts for the ability to travel as much as it seems that the Bennett family does.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could travel that much too! Travel seems like such a luxery now-a-days compared to their frequent occurences, you think it would be the other way around. And when do they work? Geez it seems like they have tons of time for fun activities. Where do they fit in time to make a living?

    ReplyDelete