Thursday, February 24, 2011

Duality and Confusion

Wuthering Heights is such a weird novel. I was expecting something equivalent to Pride and Prejudice when I looked at the reading list. However, this novel is nothing like what I thought it would be.

First of all, the narrative is all over the place. In the beginning, it's clear to see that it's Lockwood speaking, but once it goes on it becomes unclear who is actually the narrator. I'm used to reading books that are somewhat confusing, but Bronte has officially stumped me. Another thing that is odd is the characters. It seems that there are multiple people per one character. For example, I never knew who the owner of Wuthering Heights was until I reread it (and I still need to go back and make sure that it's right!).

However, I also think that it is superbly written. Bronte brings forth that duality that we were talking about today. Heathcliff obviously resembles the bad half and Linton the good, but I think that there is duality within them, too. Heathcliff has both a good and a bad side as does Linton. It will be interesting to see how the relationship between the two pan out, and also how their own duality will eventually mesh in with the story.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing reading Wuthering Heights. Im not use to all the confusion being portrayed in this novel. I feel left in the dark half the time and I don't understand the ways in which these people's society seems to govern their every move specifically with relationships. Im glad today we get the chance to love someone no matter what their social class/status is.

    ReplyDelete