Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happily Ever After?

In class today, we were talking about the ending to Pride and Prejudice and how some people in the class didn't like how it ended or that it seemed to take so long to build up to the engagement and the ending was not as satisfying as they thought it would be.  Well, that got me thinking about movie endings that are from the romance/drama genre, especially since we mentioned the movie Titanic and how that ended with the character of Rose walking up the grand staircase to a waiting Jack.  It was mentioned in class about the book being more about the buildup and not about the engagement/wedding.  I have noticed that it happens frequently in other books I have read and movies I have watched.  Off the top of my head I can think of 2 movies, Letters to Juliet (2010) and When in Rome (2010), that are more about the buildup than about the ultimate happy ending and what happens after the couple finally ends up together.  I think if books and movies had less buildup storyline, meaning less drama for instance, I think the story would be a lot shorter and have less drama.  It seems that people don't always like that buildup and would prefer to just get to the ending or to have more of what happens after the engagement/wedding.  I actually think that the buildup is what makes the story and while I want to see what eventually happens, I enjoy reading about the conflicts and what leads up to the ending.  I can say that I was glad that Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy finally put aside their prides and prejudices so they could have that happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment