Thursday, February 17, 2011

happily ever after? really??

Like everyone else, I thought the ending is just an easy way to end the book. With the complications that went on throughout the book, marrying off all the girls is just completely boring to me. I did not expect it at all actually. From the start, Mrs. Bennett just wanted all her daughters to get married and get away from home, it was her soul purpose at that point in time. I can't believe Jane Austin actually made that happen. It's a very disappointing way to end the story. It's actually a good thing that the book doesn't go on because I don't think I would read any more of it. I understand that many people like seeing a "happily ever after" in romance novels, but in this case it just is not as satisfying as most would think it to be. As I was reading the book the past couple of weeks, I admit, I hoped all the Bennett girls would find men to marry, but since it happened I was surprised that I was hoping for a more exciting ending.

1 comment:

  1. I think the reason it ended the way it did(quickly) was done on purpose. The major subject matter of the book was social classes and the issues with society. (from my perspective of course) The way she put forth these issues were through the eyes of love. I think if she were to have continued and drawn out the ending it would destroy the novel on all grounds--both romantic and societal. I mean really what more could have happened between the engagement and wedding? Picking out the dress and Elizabeth "sticking it to the man" my picking out a pink dress instead of white? Seriously, it was an amazing book and if there were to have been any changes...I for one would have lost all respect for MS.Austen.

    ReplyDelete