Thursday, February 24, 2011

Love is getting in the way of wealth!

Wuthering heights, this book unlike pride and prejudice is more adventure and mysterious and I like It. In a way I can kind of get into this book, because I find that you really need to focus and follow along. There’s one thing that really gets me in this book and that’s figuring out who the characters are. Is Catherine and Cathy two different people? That’s one of my biggest questions in this book. These is also another confusing point in the book and that’s who is Nelly talking to. Is she telling a story to someone, or is she just telling a story? In the beginning Catherine goes to Wuthering heights and then when she gets back home she’s sitting by a fire and Nelly starts talking, so is she telling this whole story to the Young Catherine? In class we keep talking about how Cathy is leading on Heathcliff, but I think that the only reason is because back then just like pride and prejudice money and wealth was more important then anything. My favorite quote in the book was somewhere in chapter 9. Cathy said she loved heathcliff but if she married him she would be a beggar and with edger she will be rich, and that her love for heathcliff is like rocks underground it’s unnoticeable but useful. These two sentences really in a way help me not think that shes leading on heathcliff because back then you didn’t search for love you searched for money and rich families. But in a way love is getting in the way of wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment