Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wuthering Heights

I really like this book, much more than Pride and the Prejudice. I love the character Heathcliff, he just has something about him that draws me in. I however, can not stand the character Catherine. Her selfish behavior and temper tantrums, completely drives me nuts. I think that is part of the point, I don't think she's meant to be a lovable character. Her biggest priority seems to be herself, everyone and everything else comes second to that. Maybe she'll develop more as a person as the story continues but so far, I'm doubting it.

The parts with the child abuse in this book is really hard for me to stomach. The part where Hindley almost kills the child, Hareton, was the worst so far. I had to stop reading the book for awhile and come back to it later in the day. I do think it adds a certain, hero like quality to Heathcliff when he saves Hareton. I think the author does this purposely, by having such a dramatic scene, with the savior of the little boy being due to Heathcliff. She's drawing you in to like Heathcliff, despite his angst and overall rough demeanor. So far, he is definitely my favorite character.

I like the narrative perspective of Nelly. In some situations, I do thinks she eggs on the drama and deliberately puts her nose in every one's business. But her life has always been so centered around these people, it's obvious she has no other family of her own. I don't despise her for this nor can I really blame her. It seems to be a way of entertainment or purpose to a life that is really, not her own. I think I've grown to like her because of her kind treatment to Hareton and how she tried to protect him from Hindley when he was a small child. Maybe as a mother myself it easy for me to relate to this behavior, hence the reasons why I tend to like her as a person in that scenario.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this book. I tend to like the more mysterious, dark romances as compared to one such as Pride and the Prejudice. I just think it's more eye catching and easier to become enthralled by the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment