Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mediocre

As i have stated before, I am very surprised by the amount of enjoyment I have endured while reading the novels that were selected for this class. However, "Vision In White", seemed to diminish this intriguing cycle. I must admit prior to starting the novel I was a tad bias because I wanted to prove she was not as great as she is claimed to be, that no one can write as many great novels as she. Well, in the first few chapters I was actually starting to prove myself wrong about Nora, but the more the book dragged on the more my original hypothesis became true. I waited and waited for some amazing character development, something in the likes as a "Pride and Prejudice" or even "Bet Me", but that yearning was never satisfied (especially if this is supposed to be a series). As we discussed in class today, there was not a real sense of death, something bringing the reader beneath the surface of the fantasy. It just seemed apparent that this is how things were and there was no substance. The story seemed to create an extreme rush of storyline towards the end, and never felt like there was any closure on any level. Which even if this were to be part of a series some type of closure of real depth should have been created. I understand she had some difficulties with her mother and commitment that miraculously disappeared just like that, but that is not true depth. I am meaning a real conflict that has an actual process of it becoming overcome, character flaws, and again, substance. This story just seemed plainly mediocre, now I am not saying all of Nora's work is on this level for this is the only novel of her's I have read, but the chances of me becoming an advocate of her's is very unlikely. Though, i will give her one chance in the future, but not right away...I have more important books to read before getting into something that maybe just a huge risk.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said about this book. It was nowhere near as good as others she has written. I stated below that I really liked her 3 sisters witch trilogy and also the morrigan's cross vampire trilogy. Give one of those a shot and you may like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me laugh a little to hear you say that you had to "endure" enjoyment ~ not sure if you meant it that way! ;o)

    ReplyDelete