Thursday, May 5, 2011

Disappointment in Nora Roberts

To be totally truthful, I didn't really like Vision in White. One reason is because I didn't enjoy the way Nora Roberts set up the book. I didn't like the way the book was from everyone's point of view. It was so hard for me to get used to the characters and to get to know them. Even after finishing the book, I don't have a great sense of who Mac is, or who Carter is. I prefer stories that are in the first person because it helps me learn about the characters. I get a better sense of how the characters feel and how they act and what they think about. It draws me into the story more easily and sufficiently than the third person.

I also wish there had been a more intense conflict. It just seemed like there wasn't a huge, dramatic, earth shattering conflict like there usually are in most books. Really, the only issue was Mac's issue with commitment, and that didn't seem very difficult to overcome. It was really disappointing to me. I was expecting something bigger to happen. I thought that Corrine was going to come back - that would have been a great conflict and I think Nora Roberts missed out on a great opportunity to add a lot of drama to her book. I just found it very disappointing, which made Mac and Carter's relationship less satisfying at the end.

I was pretty disappointed in Nora Roberts, actually. She's such a hyped up author and she's written so many books that have pretty much all been on the bestseller's lists. I was expecting more from her book. And maybe it was because she's so hyped up I was disappointed. My expectations were so high, maybe it made it impossible for anyone to be able to meet them.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way! I figured that since she was a bestseller, she would be really good at setting things up. But actually I was rather disappointed also. I definitely didn't get a good sense of the characters, but I kind of did like how it would swith randomly to another character though, it did seem like Mac got most of the time in the book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you and would suggest you try another of her books- they really are hit or miss but I loved her witch trilogy and her vampire trilogy. I think this book was a disapointment knowing how great her books CAN be.

    ReplyDelete